Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why I chose to homeschool.

I figure the best way to start this blog off is with an explanation of why I chose to homeschool.  There are many reasons why most people choose to homeschool.

One of my top reasons to homeschool is the fact that I can incorporate field trips into the schedule to aid in the love of learning.  Zoo trips, museum trips, nature hikes, hands on activities at home and otherwise.  It's exciting to me to think that we don't have to spend every day confined at home while learning.  There are many places (the zoo being one of them) that have days especially for homeschooled children to come for a learning session.  I am hoping to be able to go outside the home on a learning adventure at least every other week if not weekly.  Then add in sports, organizations I'd like them to be a part of & playdates/meetups.  So my son will be out in the real world around real children regularly.

Another reason is because homeschooling is a more efficient way to educate.  A teacher (bless them - they really are underpaid for all they do) is restricted in what they can do.  They have to take long pauses for the entire class to do things such as: passing out papers/materials, collecting papers/materials, potty breaks, lining up to go outside, lining up to go to the library/art/gym/etc.  These things happen multiple times a day.  So you can see all these pauses adding up throughout the day.  So in just a few hours at home a child can learn all they would in an entire day at school.

Which leads me to another reason I chose to homeschool - more family time.  This helps families to bond & get to know their child better.  It also helps to further instill & reinforce family values.

Homeschooling is also a lesson in self discipline for all involved.  For the homeschooling parent who needs to be sure their children are mastering the lessons they're learning, being sure they're using their time wisely, being sure that they're creating many opportunities for their children to get out in the world while learning as well as time to socialize, etc.  As children get older, there are curricula that is more independent learning where the child has to learn to be a self starter and therefore learning self discipline.  Of course this happens slowly over time, little by little with guidance from the parent(s).

Another great reason - sick days.  If a child is sick they usually have to have their assignments sent home to keep caught up.  A homeschooled child doesn't have to miss a day.  If they do (because they're just too sick to focus) then it's fine if they make up for it on a Saturday or something.

Less distractions at home than at school.  There are exceptions to every rule, I'm aware.  However, in general since it is just the parent(s) and possibly sibling(s) at home there are many less distractions than with all kinds of other children around to pass notes, disrupt the class, etc.  Again, back to less interruptions in learning for passing papers/materials around, etc.

My kids can get one-on-one attention which can really help them. 
I can help teach them according to how they learn best - auditory, visual, tactile.  I already know James is more of a visual/tactile learner.  So I plan to do as many hands on projects as possible with him.  I'd like to look into joining a learning co-op later on for science to help him get that lab experience and I'd definitely like to have things like a microscope at home.

Kids can focus more when they aren't hungry or tired.  If my kids didn't sleep well the night before, then they can sleep in & catch up on their sleep before doing their lessons (not that this would happen often as part of being responsible for their learning is making sure they're going to sleep at a decent time).   I also remember my brother & I were ALWAYS hungry after school all through our public school educational career.  Sometimes I couldn't wait that last 45 min of school because I was hungry.  Was I really paying much attention that last class as a result?  Most likely not.  So my kids can grab an apple while reading their lesson or something like that.  Definitely a good thing to be able to do.

Never a snow day!  Which means they also don't have to worry about any possibility of their "school year" going longer than expected.  Although on the flip side, we don't have to do a long summer vacation if we don't want to.  We can take more time off here and there throughout the year instead.  Or there is just skipping half of the summer vacation in favor of "getting ahead" in comparison with their public school counterparts.

With better time management at home there is more time to go out and volunteer in the community - again going out into the "real world" and getting positive experiences.  This also goes hand in hand with teaching my children to have a giving spirit & a servant's attitude in accordance with our Christian beliefs.

Which leads into the fact that we can choose a curriculum that does not undermine our family's Christian beliefs.  In fact, we will choose curriculum that supports our Christian beliefs.  I still believe that they need to be aware of secular beliefs in science (particularly "the big bang theory") but from a Christian viewpoint.

I only chose to share the latter reason last because so many people tend to think that is the only reason Christians like myself choose to homeschool.  It isn't.  It is a strong reason why but it most certainly is NOT the only reason why.  And there is nothing wrong with this perspective.  Think of it this way - an atheist/agnostic/wiccan/etc is not going to put their child into a religious private school, correct?  Should I bash them for that choice?  Then why should anyone from those groups bash a Christian for choosing to send their child to a religious private school or homeschooling their children in a religious environment?

Also, I've seen many facts and figures that state that (properly) homeschooled children are just as prepared and many times better prepared for college level education than their public school counterparts.

Lastly, I'd like to say that my children will most likely get MORE SOCIALIZATION through homeschooling than through public school.  They can go out to volunteer, play sports, join an organization like Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, co-op classes, play dates, etc.

Here are some great articles to support me:
http://www.clickinks.com/50-reasons-to-home-school.html
http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/144135.aspx
http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000068.asp

The only other thing I want to add is the fact that I completely respect teachers.  I *really* wanted to be a lawyer at one point.  When I realized that wasn't for me I wanted to be a social worker so I could help children.  After thinking it over more (I figured that would be too stressful & depressing a job) I decided I'd love to be a teacher.  I worked at a daycare for a couple years and even got my CDA (Child Development Associate certificate).  I also appreciate what school systems would LIKE to accomplish.  I just feel that in my heart I am being led to homeschool my kids.  At this point in time I feel it is the best choice for my children.  This isn't a choice I'm making because I feel teachers are bad or inadequate.  I think many of them are underpaid and some may have their hands tied behind their backs in what they want to accomplish because of school policies, etc.  Plus with proposed educational budget cuts - I figure not adding to possibly increasing class sizes is good for everyone all around.

No comments: